Friday, September 23, 2016

D&D 5E Bachelor Party Adventure

Here is the link to the adventure I wrote up as well as the character sheets: 

The Bachelor's Party Adventure
Character Sheets

Recently I got to run a short D&D one-shot adventure for my friend's bachelor party. I was excited to do this but instantly had a few concerns. First I would be running for 10-13 players, and I didn't know each players experience with tabletop rpgs. Second was I knew it needed to be relatively short two hours or less so we would have time to do some other things that evening.

The first thing I did was take care of the characters. I wanted everyone to be able to see everything about their characters on one sheet of paper. So I thought instead of doing full on class characters, I would use characters based on NPC stat blocks. RPGTinker is an awesome site that lets you make custom versions of these and scale how powerful they are quickly. I made a bunch of 4 hit dice ones to match minis I already had. I made about 13 characters I will include with the adventure that you can just print off and hand to your players if you dont want to make your own. One fun thing we did is I laid all the sheets out with, the corresponding mini, and let the "bachelor" pick everyone's character for them.




Then I surfed the internet for bachelor party adventures. Well the internet had forsaken me I found a lot of stories about adventures run at bachelor parties but not something I could just run. This is what inspired me to save my notes, and them up so you can run this yourself if you have a bachelor/bachelorette party coming up.

So I started to put one together myself first thing I did was look for great D&D puzzles. I found one here I liked a lot and took it for my first encounter. I thought it was a good idea to combine combat and puzzles since I would only have time for 3 main encounters to happen. So I went with that Vatruvian Man combat puzzle for the first encounter, for the 2nd encounter I wanted another combat/puzzle. My friend getting married has math and statistical degrees so I wanted to poke at that a little bit and created the Sanctum of Numoku. Basically it is a cavern with a portal, that can be turned on by putting in the right glyphs into a 9x9 grid. The grid itself is actually just a Sudoku puzzle, which I handed out copies for people to try and figure out. I got the Sudoku puzzles here. While this is going on Orcs are falling from portals in the ceiling while they are trying to solve it. There is a joke on the internet I saw somewhere about orcs just waiting in line to go through a portal to fight so this is making of that.

For the last encounter they get to their goal to find it under attack, by monsters way more powerful than they can handle. Adult Red Dragon, Frost Giant that sort of thing.  Throughout the adventure players have been getting scrolls from a crazed wandering merchant. The scrolls are filled with super powerful spells, and legendary weapons to give the players the ability to beat these creatures. For a bit of fun to activate these scrolls the player had to read the arcane words upon it. For our arcane words it was 3 Cards Against Humanity cards and created some great foul mouthed gross hilarity. However even with these scrolls it was pretty assured many deaths would occur in this encounter but that's okay for the "bachelor" was given the "Ring of Binding" earlier in the adventure.  The ring has some circumstantial abilities to poke fun at marriage and wedding tropes, but also an ability to bring allies back to life. I added this for 2 specific reasons.

1. Increase the importance of the player who the bachelor party was for.

2. Its no fun to be dead and watch every one keep playing. Its a one-shot and is meant to be quick fun so keeping everyone involved as much as possible is important.

So please download it give it a try, change it to fit your group of players. Most importantly have fun with it it is a "party" after all.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. male strip club nyc Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete